How to Stop Defamation When You Can’t Afford an Attorney

Bankruptcy - Business Person holding an empty wallet

Is there a way to stop Internet defamation when you have limited funds to hire an attorney?

Here’s a call I get a few times a week. Someone somewhere has managed to upset someone else, usually over a miscommunication. Alternatively, it will be an ex-boyfriend, girlfriend or spouse that feels they were done wrong. The offended party responds to the perceived offense by going onto various social networking sites and posting false, defamatory statements; Facebook is a popular choice for the vitriol. The victim of these accusations wants my assistance in getting the statements taken down.

I can do that, but at a cost. And while I sometimes take a case on a contingency basis (receiving a percentage of the amount recovered), most of the time such an arrangement is not workable since the primary goal of the action is to remove the defamatory materials, not for damages. An attorney cannot take a case on a contingency basis if there are no damages or if the defendant has no ability to pay. Indeed, in many instances an attorney should not take a defamation case on a contingency basis since that will then make the case about money instead of being about solutions.

Is there a solution for those who can’t afford representation?

The Small Claims Court Approach

In Superior Court, the judge can craft an equitable or injunctive remedy along with awarding any damages. In other words, if you sue someone for Internet defamation, the judge can not only award money damages, he or she can order that the defendant remove all defamatory postings from the Internet. Small Claims Court, on the other hand, can only award money damages – the judge is not permitted to fashion any sort of equitable relief. The jurisdictional limits of Small Claims Court are set forth in Code of Civil Procedure section 116.220, which provides: “(a) The small claims court has jurisdiction in the following actions: . . . (5) For an injunction or other equitable relief only when a statute expressly authorizes a small claims court to award that relief.”

Thus, a judge in Small Claims Court can only grant an injunction or other equitable relief if there is a statute that authorizes the judge to do so. There is no statute authorizing an injunction or other equitable relief as regards a defamation action.

Perhaps for this reason, most attorneys never think to recommend Small Claims Court for a defamation action since the court has no power to remove the offending posts. However, for a personal grudge match on the Internet, Small Claims Court can be very effective. In California, you can recover up to $10,000 in Small Claims Court – certainly enough to sting a defendant and make him think about the “value” he is receiving in return for his false statements. And while I’ve never tested the point (attorneys are not allowed in Small Claims Court), an argument could be made that an Internet defamation is an ongoing harm. Thus, after successfully suing, if the remark still remains, you could theoretically bring another action (subject to the One Publication Rule).  And certainly every new defamatory post would support a new action.

Most of the time, after you obtain a judgment, unless the defendant has a mental disorder, he or she will be very willing to remove the offending material to avoid paying the damages if that option is offered.  And therein lies the strength of suing in Small Claims Court when you can’t afford to sue in a higher court.  Even though the court can’t order the defendant to act in a certain way, the judgment you obtain will put you in a strong bargaining position.

Don’t underestimate the power of a court judgment, even one that comes from Small Claims Court. A defendant may have no ability to pay today, but a judgment is good for ten years, and can be renewed for another ten, all the while earning interest, and all the while damaging the defendant’s credit. And defamation is an intentional tort, meaning it can’t be discharged in bankruptcy.

Finally, even if you never collect a dime, a judgment from any court can go a long way to clearing your name.

“Joe, I heard that Bill was saying you cheated him on a business deal.  Is that true?”

“Bill was saying that, and I took him to court for defamation and won.  The judge ruled that everything Bill was saying was a lie.  I didn’t want to have to sue him, but I’m not going to let someone get away with calling me a crook.”

A famous example of this approach involved Teddy Roosevelt.  During the Presidential campaign, he was accused of frequently being intoxicated.  He sued and won, and all the papers reported how he had proven that he was not a drinking man.  The amount he sued for and won?  Six cents.

Many years ago I worked as a volunteer Small Claims Judge in Arizona, and it was sad to see cases where I knew the person was probably entitled to the damages they were seeking, but they were not able to present sufficient evidence to prove the case because they came unprepared.  You are going to be suing for as much as $10,000, so take the time to do it right.  Here is an excellent guide to prepare for Small Claims Court:

An untested, but possible approach to “injunctive relief” in Small Claims Court

After reading this article, a reader was kind enough to call me and let me know about Small Claims Form SC-105, which you can find here. The form is called “Request for Court Order and Answer”, and appears to provide a mechanism whereby a party to the action can ask the judge to issue an order. We already know that pursuant to CCP section 116.220, a Small Claims Court Judge cannot grant an injunction in a defamation action. But as with most things in the law, the fact that you are procedurally prohibited from doing something is only an issue if someone objects.

Again, I do not purport to be an expert on actions in Small Claims Court, since parties cannot be represented by counsel there, but I note that the form calls for the opposing party to either object or agree to the requested order. Section 3 of the form asks for the order you want, and section 4 asks you to explain why you want that order. Just brainstorming, it occurs to me that in section 3 you could enter something like, “I want the court to order defendant to remove the defamatory post from Facebook [obviously you’ll have to identify the post in some way], and not to re-post the comment on Facebook or any other internet site.” Then, in section 4, you could state, “I ask for this order because if the defendant takes down the post and agrees not to post it again, there is no need to conduct the trial.” The defendant could decide that agreeing to the order is a simple way to avoid having to go to trial.

This form also offers a great way to seek specificity on the court’s verdict. When you successfully sue for defamation in Small Claims Court, you can then tell the world that you proved the statements made by defendant were false. But what if the defendant made multiple statements? Technically, an award of damages only proves that the judge agreed that you were defamed by the defendant. It does not specify which of the statements the judge found were defamatory. With form SC-105, you could ask for an order, specifying that the court found specific statements to be defamatory, if that would be beneficial to your particular situation.

In case I haven’t provided enough disclaimers, this approach is just speculation on my part, so don’t curse my name if it doesn’t work. This is pretty creative stuff, and many Small Claims judges have no interest in being creative. But if you try it, let me know if it worked.

4 Responses to How to Stop Defamation When You Can’t Afford an Attorney

  • Pingback: Suing for Defamation in Small Claims Court | Aaron Morris, Attorney | Internet Defamation Blog

  • Delilah Hawsh says:

    Good article. That said, there’s a difference between “false, defamatory statements” and “true, defamatory statements”. When it comes to being ripped off by a business or individual, as long as the statements are truthful, you’re going to have a hard time getting them removed. Best to check your ethics to begin with!

  • Cindy Burdue says:

    I’m being sued for alleged defamation in SMALL CLAIMS COURT. I gave info. to a Federal agency, in making a Freedom of Info Act (FOIA) request. In reply to the agency’s question why I felt the production of documents should be “expedited,” I told about a woman’s suicide attempt years before, with newer threats, and said it was not clear she should be alone with a young child or doing her job (which was one of public interest); and a psychologist was doing an evaluation, so needed the info for this purpose quickly). The agency allegedly used my info. to make the defendant get a mental health testing, according to defendant.

    Nobody from the Federal agency ever even called or emailed me to verify my statements. AND, why did they tell the subject of my FOIA request ANY thing I said? and if they are going to DO that, some NOTICE to the requester would be nice (preferably, in advance, so you don’t even ASK for records, or certainly, don’t explain anything about why you think there is any urgency to get them).

    IF I had been told they even MIGHT share what I said with the subject, it would not have been said. I guess I thought it was between me and the Federal agency from which I requested the records; live and learn. A BIG NOTICE SAYING: ANYTHING YOU TELL US WILL BE BLABBED IMMEDIATELY TO THE SUBJECT OF THE FOIA REQUEST would have been appropriate.

    By the way, NOTHING I said was false, most was the subject’s own story about her past behavior, but that won’t matter, because I have learned I don’t get a real trial or even real court.

    In small claims court, I have no right to even get a COPY of the written statement I made (my FOIA request was made over a year ago, online, and I did not keep a copy – and Defendant did not quote my statement, or give me a copy with her “complaint, ” which complaint is ONE sentence long – “You told false stories about me to this agency and they made me go to a doctor and cost me $$.”

    I do not even know the exact date when I made the alleged statement, except what Defendant asserts, and for all I know, it is even past the one year Statute of limitations. I recall doing the FOIA request sometime last spring. So, its is within DAYS of the one year expiring, and it would be quite beneficial to know this BEFORE I go to court.

    I called Sm claims court, and was told I can’t use form SC 105 to ask for an order that the Defendant GIVE me a copy of the verbatim statement prior to the hearing (“no pre-trial discovery”). Oh, and was told we get 15 mins. for the TOTAL case, so don’t bother bringing witnesses or even planning to testify myself. This is the essence of a kangaroo court! If I was not on the hook for $9300, which I do NOT have, it would be funny.

    I can’t possibly prepare for the hearing (I would not call it a “trial,”); w/out even knowing what EXACTLY Def. claims I said, or exactly when it was said, I can’t be prepared for anything.

    Why is it even legal to bring a defamation suit in small claims court? Not knowing what else to do, I will ask the judge to dismiss and make Def. file in REAL court, where I get to KNOW what I said at least, before the day of the hearing. Do I have any rights here? How about a JURY?

    If anyone has a suggestion how to prepare for a defamation case where you are not sure exactly what you said, or when, and there’s no time to present a witness, even yourself, and where you got no pretrial discovery, let me know!

    If I can find the money, I’ll hire an attorney. Lottery tickets this weekend! lol

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Aaron Morris
Morris & Stone, LLP

Tustin Financial Plaza
17852 17th St., Suite 201
Tustin, CA 92780

(714) 954-0700

Email Aaron Morris

View Aaron Morris, Trial Attorney and Partner at Morris & Stone, with emphasis on Free Speech and Defamation Law.

Section 6158.3 Notice
NOTICE PURSUANT TO BUSINESS & PROFESSIONS CODE SECTION 6158.3: The outcome of any case will depend on the facts specific to that case. Nothing contained in any portion of this web site should be taken as a representation of how your particular case would be concluded, or even that a case with similar facts will have a similar result. The result of any case discussed herein was dependent on the facts of that case, and the results will differ if based on different facts.